Newfound wealth from the timber, fishing, transportation, and retail businesses in the 1920’s fueled demand for luxury boats. The Blanchard Boat Company was one of the leading yacht builders of Seattle. Prohibition, in effect from 1920 to 1933, generated business for Blanchard with many orders of fast boats for runs to Canada on moonless nights. The U.S. Coast Guard contracted Blanchard to build equally fast boats to apprehend the smugglers. Partly due to the growing popularity of fiberglass, the Blanchard shop closed in 1969, as did many of wooden boat shops in the region.